New units for fuel oil reduction, Muskiz, Biscay, Spain. New coker unit and coker storage (not in [+]
Valle 1 and Valle 2 parabolic through plants
- Client: Torresol Energy
- Country: Spain
- Start date: 2009
- Ending date: 2011
Valle 1 and Valle 2 parabolic trough plants, San José del Valle, Cádiz, Spain.
Valle 1 and Valle 2 are two adjacent 50 MW plants of electrical energy generation with similar characteristics located in San José del Valle (Cadiz, Spain).
The technology of these two twin plants is the parabolic trough collectors. Each of them consist of a solar field of 510,000 m2 of SENERtrough® kind collectors, previously developed and qualified by SENER. These collectors count on a high accuracy optical sensor to follow the sun from East to West to accumulate, this way, the maximum solar radiation.
- More than 3,500 h annual production per plant
- 95,000 t CO2 emission savings per year
- 80,000 homes receive this clean and safe power
The net power production for each of the Valle 1 and Valle 2 plants is 160 GWh/year. Thanks to their respective thermal storage systems, with 7,5 hours capacity, both plants will provide energy without fluctuation or interruptions, contributing to the power supply stability for more than 3,500 hours per plant/year, saving emisions of 95,000 t of CO2 per year. 80,000 homes receive this clean and safe power.
SENER acted as project manager and provided 100% of the technology and engineering for both plants. Valle 1 and Valle 2 were built in parallel, with the logistics this implied: processing various types of supplies (purchasing, manufacturing, inspection, authorization of shipments to the site, transportation, receiving, and on-site storage), overseeing multiple contractors, quality control of the execution and, above all, planning and supervising construction as it progresses. This type of parallel construction has made Valle 1 and Valle 2 a milestone in the solar power industry.
- Project data:
- Main characteristics: Parabolic trough and molten salt storage.
- Total mirror surface: 2×510,000 m2.
- Number of SCA/loops: 2×624/156 SENERtrough®.
- Field surface area: 2×198 Ha.
- Nominal solar field thermal output: 2×262 MWt.
- Thermal storage capacity: 2×1,010 MWhth (7.5h).
- Turbine capacity: 2×50 MWe.
- Thermal cycle efficiency: 38%.
- Annual normal direct radiation: 2,057 KWh/m2
- Electricity delivery to 80,000 household.
- Around 95,00 tons/year of CO2 emissions saved.
- Contract type: EPC.
- Scope: Basic Engineering, Detail Engineering Construction, Commisioning and Start-Up.
- Partners: ACS - COBRA.
- Annual equivalent hours: 3,950 h/year.
- Annual capacity factor: 41%.
Other programsSee all
Isomerisation unit U-618 for the Repsol refinery T-46, Tarragona, Spain. Revamping of the isopentane unit for [+]
Mild hydrocracker for the Repsol refinery, Puertollano, Ciudad Real, Spain. The new “Mild Hydrocracker” units designed [+]
Polycarbonates plant, LEXAN II, Murcia, Spain. The plant built by General Electric Plastics puts this company [+]